MILLER, William Hugh, Woodville, MS., then Lafourche Parish, Louisiana
Submitted by Mike Miller
USGENWEB NOTICE:  These electronic pages may NOT be
reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by any 
other organization or persons.  Persons or organizations 
desiring to use this material, must obtain the written consent 
of the contributor, or the legal representative of the 
submitter, and contact the listed USGenWeb archivist with 
proof of this consent. Files may be printed or copied for
personal use only.

Louisiana:  Comprising Sketches of Parishes, Towns, Events, Institutions, and Persons, Arranged
in Cyclopedic Form (volume 3), pp. 301-302.  Edited by Alcée Fortier, Lit.D.  Published in 1914,
by Century Historical Association.

Miller, William Hugh, principal Lockport high school, Lockport, Lafourche parish, La.; was born
at Woodville, Miss., Nov. 27, 1888; son of J. D. and Martha (Newman) Miller, the former of
whom was born in Louisiana and the latter in Mississippi.  The father was a planter.  He served in
the Confederate army, Longstreet's division.  Twenty-first Mississippi infantry, from the beginning
to the close of the war.  After the surrender he returned home and resumed the supervision of his
plantation.  Some years later he removed with his family to Pointe Coupée parish, La., where he
now resides.  William Hugh was the youngest of 5 children born to his parents, all of whom are
living at this time.  He was educated at Jefferson college, Convent, La., graduating in 1909 with
the degree of A. B.  Sept. 1 of that year he became assistant principal of the Thibodaux high
school and instructor in mathematics in that institution, in which capacity he continued until 1911. 
Being familiar with the French people and their customs, he was in 1911 elected principal of the
Lockport high school and assumed the duties of that position in September of the same year.  At
that time the school building was a frame structure with only 3 rooms, 3 assistant teachers, and an
attendance of about 150 pupils.  Immediately following his installation as principal at Lockport he
began advocating the erection of a new school building, and in Jan. 1912, the tax was voted for a
new high school building to cost $17,000.  The erection of the building was begun in May, 1912,
and the structure and occupied in Jan., 1913.  There are 12 classrooms and an auditorium, besides
ample provision for a commercial department.  Formerly the institution was a grammar school.  It
is now a high school, with 9 instructors, including the principal, and an attendance of about 250. 
The new building is modern in every detail, having steam heat and lighting equipment.  In the
ngement of this building particular care was exerted to give as much light as possible to each
room.  The auditorium has a seating capacity of 250.  July 27, 1910, Prof. Miller was married to
Miss Annie Roberta Evans, of Peoria, Ill., a graduate of the Peoria conservatory of music.  They
have 2 children,  William H., Jr., and  Annie Roberta.  Prof. Miller is a member of the Louisiana
State Teachers association and of the Roman Catholic church.  He is entitled to much credit in
connection with voting the tax for the Lockport high school building, and also with the planning
and erection of the structure, which is in every way most admirably adapted to the purposes for
which it was designed, and will so serve for many years.

 Return to Main Page

This page was last updated on
The Lafourche Parish LaGenWeb Site is  maintained by
Jana Webre
The Lafourche Parish LaGenWeb Site is sponsored by  
Lafourche Parish Genweb ©2002-2005
All Rights Reserved

The contents, structure and design of this Web site may not be copied, excerpted, nor duplicated without the express written permission of the owner.
 You may download material from this website for your personal, noncommercial use only.