December 15, 1850, the bell at St. Joseph’s Cathedral in Thibodaux, was
blessed as " Maria". The Godfather was Jean (Pierre) Webre and the
godmother was the widow E. D. White. These two persons paid for the bell –
(which cost $500.00) The bell weight 1200 pounds (French weight) The
ceremony was conducted by the Rev. Father J. Francis Abbadie, Jesuit the
Pastor of St. Michael’s Parish, Convent, Louisiana.
particular church bell was in the original St. Joseph Church that was
located along Bayou Lafourche. The church was destroyed by fire in May of
1916. The bells were moved to the existing
church located on Canal Blvd.