The original plat for the Marcelline was formed in 1803 when François Gaudet, owner of section 63 in Lafourche Parish, exchanged a tract of land with Martin Pitre measuring 3 arpents, 60 foot depth with $300 given to Pitre in the deal. In 1831, Jean-Baptiste Thibodaux, owner of section 62, sold one arpent parallel, to François Gaudet. In 1835, Jean and Joseph Boudreaux, owners of section 64, sold a tract of land to the widow of François Gaudet, Sr., measuring 4 arpents and 40 feet depth. In 1836, she bought two arpents with 80 feet depth from the succession of Jean-Baptiste Thibodaux (section 62). In 1851, she sold her plantation to her three sons: Charles, Léon and Augustin. In 1854, Charles sold his share to Charles DeLesseps, his brother-in-law. In 1856, the Gaudet brothers, composed of Léon, Augustin, and Charles DeLesseps purchased from Marcellin Adam, a tract of land below theirs measuring two arpents front, 80 depth, for $10,000. In 1867, the Marcelline was seized by Mrs. Francois Gaudet and was adjudicated to her. The two arpent tract bought from Adam was adjudicated to Francois Gaudet, Jr. In 1867, Francois Gaudet Jr. sold the two arpents to his son, Myrtille. The seizure and sale of the plantation was not caused by mismanagement, but by the Civil War and it's aftermath. On 10 December 1867, Marcelline Falgoust, the widow of François Gaudet, sold the "Marcelline" Plantation to Mrs. Charles DeLesseps and Charles F. Gaudet for $24,000. On 10 December 1873, the plantation was divided in half to each party.
Please contact these family members for more information about the Gaudet family or Marcelline Plantation:
Robert Gaudet firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to Main Page
The contents, structure
and design of this Web site may not be copied, excerpted, nor duplicated without
the express written permission of the owner.